Australia says relations with Israel ‘difficult’ after aid worker death
Sign up now: Get insights on Asia's fast-moving developments
Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong said they learnt of Israel’s decision to close the probe moments before it was announced.
PHOTO: REUTERS
- Australia’s Foreign Minister Penny Wong called relations with Israel "difficult" after Israel dropped investigations into the killing of Australian aid worker Lalzawmi Frankcom in Gaza.
- Israel’s military ruled out criminal liability for the Israeli air strike that killed seven World Central Kitchen staff, causing outrage from Australia and the charity.
- Australia demands justice and an independent inquiry, while Israel expresses sorrow but maintains the attack was unintentional and no criminal charges apply.
AI generated
SYDNEY – Australia’s top diplomat Penny Wong said on Aug 20 relations with Israel were “difficult” after it dropped a probe into the killing of aid worker Lalzawmi “Zomi” Frankcom and her colleagues in Gaza.
Australian national Frankcom was among a group of seven World Central Kitchen staff killed in April 2024 when their aid convoy was hit by an Israeli air strike.
Their deaths triggered global outrage and a renewed push to ensure the safety of aid workers in Gaza.
But Israel’s military announced this week that criminal investigations would not be launched into their deaths, sparking outrage from the Australian government.
Foreign Minister Wong summoned Israel’s ambassador Hillel Newman over the decision, which she described as “especially insulting and hurtful” as it was announced on World Humanitarian Day.
She has also asked Canberra’s envoy in the country to “convey our views directly” to the government there.
Speaking to journalists after meeting the Israeli envoy, Wong said “we do not have confidence” in the country’s investigation into the killings.
“The Australian government will continue to keep pressing Israel for justice,” Wong said.
Israel’s envoy Newman told journalists in Canberra following their meeting he expressed “deep sorrow and grief” to Frankcom’s family.
But he insisted “Israel had no intention to attack or injure in any way the aid workers that were on the convoy”.
“The decision (is) that there’s no criminal liability. We must respect that conclusion,” he said.
And he complained there were “a lot of haters of Israel in Australia”.
The founder of World Central Kitchen, Jose Andres, said on X that the decision was “wrong and is painful for all of us. There was no excuse for their attacks on our team”.
The US-based charity called the decision “inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive”, and demanded an independent commission to investigate.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu previously said the military had “unintentionally” killed the volunteers. AFP

